The “X-1” streetcars
were used on the isolated western suburban system of Footscray
for most of their lives. Eight of the streetcars also operated
on the main Melbourne system as “all-night” cars
for various lengths of time between 1954 and 1957. As such,
their territory was extensive.
Cars 466 and 467 were also used as standby “Tourist
Cars” from 1927 to 1936. Between 1930 and 1936, all
of the “X-1” streetcars were fitted with fare
boxes to assist driver-only operation.
All ten “X-1” streetcars were withdrawn and stored
on the closure of the Footscray system on March 10, 1962.
467 was presented complete to the Australian Electric Traction
Association, and it is preserved in running condition at the
Bylands Museum of the Tramway Museum Society of Victoria.
The bodies of the other nine “X-1” streetcars
were sold in 1962.
Between 1995 and 2001, Newstead Tramcars purchased the bodies
of 460, 463 and 466. A formal agreement has been entered into
with the Bendigo Tramways, to restore the three bodies to
“better-than-new” operating condition. It is these
three streetcars that are offered for sale. Car 466 was competed
in 2003 and subsequently underwent extensive testing on the
Bendigo and Ballarat streetcar systems.